Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Really Good Hiatus Explanation

To many of you, my delaying for so long will have seemed unnecessary.  To those of you also applying to med school, it may still sound reasonable, but I may just look like a paranoid idiot.  But I'll explain anyway.

Several weeks ago (okay, maybe it's been months ago, now), I was accepted to a medical school.  But I didn't want to mention what school.  And I didn't want to mention where I'd been waitlisted.  I'm probably still not going to give you waitlist details, because positioning on those could be a bit perilous.  The reason behind not blurting out the good news about being accepted is that until schools have made some kind of decision about me (acceptance, rejection, waitlist, whatever), they don't know what any other school has done.  And while I don't think that schools are reading this blog, I still didn't want to risk showing my hand too early!

So here's the big news.  I got accepted to the University of Colorado in Denver.  It's a fantastic school.  Ranked really highly in primary care.  Which isn't to say that rankings are all that important to me, but it does say something about what the school chooses to emphasize, and primary care IS important to me.  While I'm not thrilled about the weather prospects in Denver, the city itself is growing, vibrant, and knows how to make winters bearable.  And it's a relatively sunny city, too.  But there are certain things about certain schools at which I've been waitlisted that make them quite appealing, too.  So in the order that I received my waitlist notifications (approximately), here are the schools:
  • U Michigan
  • UC San Diego
  • USC
  • UC Davis
  • UCLA
 I can very honestly say that I have absolutely no idea what to expect in terms of waitlists.  And I can honestly say that I would choose U Colorado over some of those schools.  Probably.

But more to the point.  I got accepted to a great school!  The nervous waiting is over!  Well, the ridiculously-scared waiting is over, anyway.

So, in keeping with my past posts, here is the status of things as they stand, with school names filled in.

Win, place, or show...
Primary applications: 17
Instant rejections: 1 (UNLV -- they only take Nevada residents)
Secondary applications: 16
Post-secondary rejections (i.e. without an interview) to date: 9 (Jefferson, UC Irvine, Boston U, Oregon Health and Science U, Northwestern, UCSF, U Iowa, NYU, Columbia)
Interview invitations to date: 6 (U Colorado, UC Davis, UCLA, U Michigan, UC San Diego, USC)
Interviews completed to date: 6 (same as above)
Post-interview rejections to date: 0
Waitlisted to date: 5 (UC Davis, UCLA, U Michigan, UC San Diego, USC)
Acceptances to date: 1 (U Colorado!)

No comments:

Post a Comment